Cubicle Downtime

Health, Fitness, Fashion, Celebrities and More!

Monday, June 12, 2006

Brokeback Monday

Happy Monday! Out of pure curiosity and after heavily persuading my husband, I finally watched the controversial, award-winning Brokeback Mountain last night. I have to admit that I thought it was a bit anti-climatic. With all of the awards that it won I was really expecting much more, however, as with many of these controversial movies that receive a lot of media attention, this is usually the case. I also consider myself to be quite liberal, but parts of this movie were awfully graphic for my taste. I had a hard time watching Heath and Jake in such explicit, uncharacteristic roles.

With all the controversy surrounding this movie after it was released, it is interesting to note that this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly does not even mention Brokeback as a controversial flick in their list of the 25 most controversial movies of all time. Many of the movies listed, such as Passion of the Christ (number 1) and The Da Vinci Code (number 13), are movies regarding religion. No movies regarding gays and lesbians are listed which is quite surprising given that the launch of this movie was such a pivotal moment in the history of same-sex relationships. I have a feeling this will spark some controversy in itself. It will be very interesting to watch and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home